(All are located off I-75/Exit 320)
Atlanta Campaign Pavilion
3949 U.S. Highway 41 North, Resaca
The third in a series of five parks built by the Works Progress Administration to identify sites of the Civil War's Atlanta Campaign, the pavilion features a relief map of troop movements and fighting in and around Resaca May 13–15, 1864. It is located on the northern section of the battlefield. The map explains the events at the Battle of Resaca and the Federal flanking movement at Lay's Ferry, which resulted in Johnston's withdrawal south over the Oostanaula River along the Western and Atlantic Railroad to Calhoun and then Cassville.
Fort Wayne Civil War Historic Site
117 Taylor Ridge Road, Resaca
Fort Wayne features two well-preserved fortified areas used by both Confederate and Union forces during and after the Civil War. Visitors can walk the one mile trail to view the original parade grounds and entrenchments which are the last known constructed by the Georgia Militia. Confederates placed a light artillery battery on a hill overlooking the Oostanaula River that was used extensively during the Battle of Resaca. After the battle, Union forces occupied these fortifications to guard the Western & Atlantic Railroad bridge until after the war. Open daily dawn to dusk. Free admission.
Resaca Battlefield Historic Site
183 Resaca Lafayette Road NW, Resaca
Walk the six-miles of trail systems where much of the heaviest fighting occurred at the first major battle of the “Atlanta Campaign”. The park includes massive earthen Confederate and Federal infantry and artillery fortifications, interpretive signage, and a covered picnic pavilion. Open Friday – Sunday, dawn to dusk. Free admission.
Resaca Confederate Cemetery
Confederate Cemetery Road, Resaca
The first Confederate Cemetery to be dedicated in the nation and the final resting place of 451 soldiers who died in the Battle of Resaca. During the war, Col. John F. Green and his family were forced to flee their home in Resaca. They returned to dead Confederate soldiers still lying on the battlefield area. Col. Green's daughters Mary and Pyatt were upset by the sight and decided to collect the bodies and give them proper graves. Their father gave them 2.5 acres of land to use as a cemetery. Mary Green started the cemetery in July 1866 without any money. The cemetery was dedicated at the end of October, and all debts were paid by the end of December 1866. Open daily dawn-dusk. Free admission.